Sunday, June 16, 2013

6/15/13 Montana

We have been driving through Montana and seeing a lot of beautiful country side.  Phil and Nita have had repeated problems with their truck and it has been a frustrating trip for them.  Hopefully the last fix will work and they won't have to see the engine light come on again.

Spent a couple of days at Glacier National Park.  As has been happening at several places we visited, we were a little early to see all of the park.  In fact, we could only drive on 16 miles of a 50 miles loop as the snow had yet to be plowed off it!  However, Phil and I decided to hike to the top of a 2 mile trek up the mountain to see "Avalanche" lake.  The first thing we saw on the hike was a sign warning about black bears.  I almost turned around at that point.  However, I picked up a couple rocks to bang as we went around the hidden corners and we mounted the trail.  It took almost two hours to make the hike as it was so steep and the elevation did not help either.   Along the way we saw a very fresh pile of bear scat and heard of bear sightings from others on the trail.  A little nerve racking, but we continued on.  It was well worth it when we got to the lake at the top,  It was breath taking.  The trek down went much faster.  About and hour and 15 minutes.  However, going down hill so steeply was murder on the knees.  I could barely walk on my left knee by the time we got to the bottom.   I was worried that I might have done some damage.  But I iced it that night and it was fine the next morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment